Saturday 7 February 2015

Five for Friday!


What a great week! As I looked through the photos I took this week I was excited about all the wonderful things that have happened with my kidlets.  I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs to share five random moments with Five for Friday!


I decided that this year I would use the songs, nursery rhymes and finger plays we sing during the day as modelled and shared reading texts.  Each kidlet has an exercise book that I've called their 'Poetry Journal' and we're going to add a song each week.  This week was 'Here is the Beehive' which I chose because of the numbers at the end.  We were surprised to be able to read a whole line of the text - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5! - as worked together on the carpet.  I was so happy to see the whole class excited and confident about reading.  Most of them sang the song at least twice while pointing to the words while drawing their picture back at their desk.



As we learn new concepts about reading I can incorporate those into our poetry work.  We will find sight words, punctuation and letters as well as notice rhyming words and our phonics focus. Next week will be 'Five Little Ducks'!


A while ago I shared about some business cards I ordered from Vista Print to use as take home tokens. My Super Kids have loved taking one of these home when they have made it to the top of the clip chart!


I've been sending home lots of the bucket filler cards, too.  I will definitely be ordering more of these!


In that same Vista Print order was my stamp!  It works beautifully!



I can quickly whizz around and stamp each kidlet's page as we complete one in our workbooks.  Perfect for times we've worked together so no 'marking' is needed.


The bonus is that my little learners think it's a reward to get a stamp... so everyone is happy! :)


So far this year in Prep we've done lots of colourful crafts. :)  On Thursday we used a paper plate and some cellophane squares to make a gorgeous fish.




We pinned them to a board and added some twisted crepe paper to look like water.  One of my kidlets asked "Why didn't you put the fish on the blue board so it looks like the ocean?" Very good question! :)


I am SO PROUD of how my brand new Preppies have worked in their small groups this week!  After only a few days of school they are absolute champs at working together, using a quiet voice, not interrupting my group and staying on task.


Here's a sneak peek at one of our activities - I'll be back tomorrow with a post all about what we've been up to. :)

That's all from me today, friends. I need to get myself up off the couch and turn this lazy day into a productive one!

3 comments:

  1. Looking through your post really makes me miss those days when I worked with little ones. (Not that my 7 year olds are "big", but it's a totally different age!) You do such cute things with those kiddos!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those fish. So cute :) See you around. Kathleen
    Kidpeople Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm enjoying your back to school excitement! It's contagious. I love business cards and the stamp. So convenient, and the kids would love it. Have a great weekend! I'm expecting a snow day on Monday here in the US!
    Jan
    Laughter and Consistency

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by!